Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ah Yes!! I'll be having the PCOS special, Thank you!

I've made a decision to try to adhere to a PCOS friendly diet.  I had absolutely NO idea what I was getting myself into!!  Sure, I figured I would have to cut back my calories, but I didn't realize that I would have to cut back SO much!  I'm a southern girl, as a matter of fact a BIG southern girl... growing up, my family's idea of eating healthy was vegtables slow cooked in animal fat LOL.  I am used to cooking and eating food to please the palate, and not approaching it to just eat to survive.  How do you go from a lifestyle of food bringing you comfort, a hobby to cook it, and a centerpeice to family gatherings or outings with friend,  to simply eating just to sustain life???  This is going to be a complete overhaul on how I look at food, and it will surely take a LOT of motivation.  So the first thing I had to do is get a better idea as to what it meant to eat PCOS friendly.  To sum it all up it is eating low, calorie, low carbohydrate, high in fiber, and low glycemic.  So, no white bread, potatoes, minimal amount of rice, GEEZE there is half of what is in my cupboards right now!  I think the hardest thing that I will have to endure is no pineapple, undeniably one of my absolute favorites!!!  The next hardest thing??  Eating S-I-X times a day... yes you read it right 1....2....3....4....5....SIX!  I barely have time to sit and cook 2 meals a day, and now I have to cook 3 meals and prepare or cook 3 additional snacks!  So I went with my husband today on a hunt for a book I had found online, The PCOS Diet Cookbook.  Of course it would have been to easy if they had it at the bookstore, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  When I came home to look for it on Amazon, I read that it got mostly bad reviews.    So I had to start again using my hand dandy Google search. (I google EVERYTHING! Hah!) So I am learning the things I can and can not eat.  Maybe this will give someone the idea to make some changes in their eating habits to, and help in that motivational department with me. :))  All the same, I thought I would share what I have found. I got all of this info on this handy website

Low GI: 55 or less
Medium GI = 56 - 69
High GI = 70 or more

Breakfast Cereals

  • Low: All-bran 50, Oat bran 50, Rolled Oats 51, Natural Muesli 40, Porridge 58.

  • Medium: Mini Wheats 58 (NOT the frosted ones NICE try LOL), Nutrigrain 66, Shredded Wheat 67, and Special K (Plain) 69.

  • High: Cornflakes 80, Branflakes 74, Coco Puffs 77, Puffed Wheat 80, Total 76, Cheerios 74, and Rice Krispies 82


Bread

  • Low:  Wholegrain Pumpernickel 46, Heavy Mixed Grain 45, Whole Wheat 49, Sourdough Rye 48 & Sourdough Wheat 54

  • Medium:  Croissant 67, Hamburger bun 61, Pita, white 57, & Wholemeal Rye 62.

  • High:  White 71, Bagel 72 & French Baguette 95.


Vegetables




  • Low:  Frozen Green Peas 39, Frozen Sweet Corn 47, Raw Carrots 16, Boiled Carrots 41, Eggplant/Aubergine 15, Broccoli 10, Cauliflower 15, Cabbage 10, Mushrooms 10, Tomatoes 15, Chillies 10, Lettuce 10, Green Beans 15, Red Peppers 10, & Onions 10.

  • Medium:  Beetroot 64

  • High:  Pumkin 75, & Parsnips 97.


Snacks & Sweet Treats
(My personal favorite LOL)


  • Low:  Slim-Fast meal replacement 27, Snickers Bar (high fat) 41, Nut & Seed Muesli Bar 49, Sponge Cake 46, Nutella 33, Milk Chocolate 42, Hummus 6, Peanuts 13, Walnuts 15, Cashew Nuts 25, Nuts and Raisins 21, Jam 51, Corn Chips 42, & Oatmeal Crackers 55.

  • Medium:  Blueberry muffin 59, & Honey 58.

  • High:  Pretzels 83, Water Crackers 78, Rice cakes 87, Puffed Crispbread 81, Donuts 76, Scones 92, & Maple flavored syrup 68.  

These are just a few examples!  I encourage you to check out my link to the website and get a lot more information on it.  It is crazy to think that some of the food that you would assume are healthy impacts your bloodsugar so much!  I hope this helps!!  Well, I am off to bed, it has been an eventful day!  God Bless!!!

~Janice.

    2 comments:

    1. Thanks for sharing this Janice. I plan on following your blog very closely and hope it will help me when the time comes. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. No problem! This is a learning experience for me too. I am going to try and adhere to this diet plan as closely as I can. It is going to be a journey!!

      ReplyDelete